Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 01:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        jfieber@cs.smith.edu, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, core@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TODO list for 2.0.5

> > Er, I was under the impression that Ollivier Robert was the
> > current Lord of the FAQ.  I'll certainly help with editing if
>
> Woah, "Lord of the FAQ" !? Yer too kind to me John :-)
>
> I'll coordinate the update to the FAQ as usual. One area I'm not familiar
> with is the new whole /etc/rc* scheme and I feel it should be mentionned
> in the FAQ as it is different from the 'old BSD way. We will have
> questions about this.

Actually it is little changed from the old way.  Is what has changed
is that all the variables are now set in /etc/sysconfig, and the /etc/rc*
and /etc/netstart files now do a . /etc/sysconfig to pick up the tweak
values.

It means you should only have to edit /etc/sysconfig now, not /etc/rc,
and /etc/netstart.  It also greatly simplifies things like multiple
network interfaces, ability to turn stuff on and off, add options
to commands, etc...

All that is need in the faq is a pointer to /etc/sysconfig, and maybe
some comments gained from reading /etc/sysconfig.  You should no longer
even care how or what goes on inside the /etc/rc files, it is bound
to change to fix bugs, but you don't need to go edit them except for
a very few things that have not been Knobized(TM) by me.

There is no more /etc/myname, /etc/default*, /etc/hostname.* on and on,
it really is getting close to where I think we want it to go.