Date:      12 Aug 1999 04:57:07 +0200
From:      Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   DEV_MODULE doesn't support dynamic major numbers any longer?

It seems to be the case that the possibility of specifying a major
number of NOMAJ in DEV_MODULE has vanished.

cdevsw_add() doesn't have any code for handling NOMAJ any longer.
(The only mention I can find of NOMAJ in a -current kernel tree from
19990811 are these:

./alpha/alpha/promcons.c:284:DEV_MODULE(prom, CDEV_MAJOR, NOMAJ, prom_cdevsw, 0, 0);
./sys/param.h:128:#define	NOMAJ	256		/* non-existent device */

which makes me wonder how the promcons works...).

Is this intentional that there isn't there any support for dynamically
assigning major device numbers or is it an accident that I should go
and rectify?

/assar