Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:16:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kallio@beeblebrox.pccc.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org, questions@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there plans to implement ELF into FreeBSD/NetBSD? Linux has it.

> > > I did search FAQ etc. on www.freebsd.org but fould nothing about ELF.
> > >
> > > Is there plans to implement it into NetBSD and/or FreeBSD?
> >
> > What do you feel is the compelling reason to support ELF instead
> > of a.out as the native binary format?
>
> Maybe I do not know what you mean with a.out native, or what ELF is ...
>
> I have been told:
>
> We have Sun machines. If FreeBSD supports ELF I can run Sun Solaris i386
> binaries in FreeBSD. I can also run Linux ELF binaries. I can also run
> many other ELF i386 binaries. ELF is more OS independed because it is
> calling library functions by name.

ELF is a file format.

ELF is *not* a binary compatability standard.

ELF is only something FreeBSD should support (as something other than
a foreign ABI) if there is a good reason, other than change for change
sake.

You probably mean to ask if FreeBSD can run Linux binaries, or if FreeBSD
can run SunOS binaries, not if it supports ELF.

Linux supports ELF, but cannot run Solaris binaries; it's an issue of
libraries, and support tools.  For instance, in order to run a binary,
you have to install it, and Solaris binaries expect Solaris install
tools.

> The big problem in FredBSD, NetBSD, Linux is the lack of good application
> software: Word processing for example as a primary tool for microcomputer
> users.

I agree.  I think WINE is more likely to provide a means of supporting
these applications, since Windows is more prevalent than Solaris.

FreeBSD and NetBSD can already run Linux binaries; most vendors have
not yet moved to ELF for Linux (cv: NetScape, et al.) because they
would orphan a large part of their market.

> Maybe I am 100% wrong? One common binary format sounds very nice. If you
> try to build Linux emulator, Solaris emulator, SCO emulator etc. I think
> it is a big task. Building one ELF "emulator" sounds better. (is there
> SCO ELF ;-) I do not know).

Other than the Solaris emulator (which is in alpha testing) FreeBSD already
has these ABI emulators, so you are too late.  The "big task" has already
been accomplished.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---