Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:33:31 -0500
From:      Clark Gaylord <cgaylord@vt.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Subject:   Re: non-learning bridge for pathological network

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:05:52PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > The problem with the "just let it be a router" approach is that I
> > want all traffic from B to go to A and C, not just that which is
> > actually intended for said net (yes all can be considered nets).
>
> the thing is, i do not see much point for doing this (there would
> be no receivers on the 'wrong' segment), so it would be easier for me to
> understand what you have in mind if you describe the reason you want
> to do this.

It is to simulate a problem similar to the hidden node problem in
wireless LAN.  This is a lab situation, not one where we want a
"good" network design.  You could similarly consider the problem as
similar to arbitrary monitoring, port replication, span port, etc.

> > specific denies, e.g.:
> >   deny from A via ifC
> > instead of
> >   deny from A to C
> >
> > I still get confused with via.
>
> 'via' does not work well with bridged packets, as ipfw has no
> info on the output interface (as there can be more than one, essentially,
> and ipfw is invoked only once and _before_ the output if is selected).

Ah, yes, I see that now.  Hmmm ... that does make it a poser.

--
Clark K. Gaylord
Blacksburg, Virginia USA