Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:08:54 +0100
From:      Dave <xtalsinger@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help needed with DNS reolving

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:02:47 +0100, you wrote:

>The file /etc/resolv.conf contains instructions for resolving DNS.

Bingo!  That was it.  /etc/resolv.conf didn't exist.  I wonder why?  I
installed that box in the same way the other two and it "just worked".
Weird.  In fact the Laptop has no CD drive and I installed that from an
FTP server.  It was when I tried to CVSup the new box I discovered the
problem.

> (I guess this isn't configured on your new box, as you don't mention it in
>your post - but forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs!).

Hey, I learned what an egg is :-)

Thanks for the help.  It's been bugging me for two days now.  I'm finding
the biggest problem with changing to a new OS is not just what questions
to ask, but to remember what it was like in the old MS-DOS days and how
long it took me to learn then.  I've been using computers for so long now
I *expect* to *know* and want it to "sing and dance" immediately.  I keep
forgetting there's a learning curve ;-)

Now I can get back to setting up MPlayer on the new box <g>

Dave

--
Sig abducted by aliens