Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:56:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@hanse.de>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning: Change to netatalk's file name handling

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Stefan Bethke writes:
> > As you might be aware, Mac's tend to use characters in file names usually
> > not used on UN*X systems, namely in the range \0x01-\0x1F and \0x7f-\0xff.
> >
> > Especially annoing is the "Icon\0x0D" for Custom Icons on Folders or
> > Volumes.
> >
> > I will put a patch in the netatalk port that maps all characters outside
> > of \0x20 to \0x7E (aka isprint()) to the equivalent hex ":xx" sequence.
>
> I don't quite understand the motivation for changing netatalk. UNIX
> supports arbitrary characters in file names, so why not use it?
>
> If you want file names decoded in a directory listing, use "ls -B".
>
> Netatalk seems like the wrong place to modify behavior to solve this
> problem, which is a display problem, not an encoding problem.

Where is the encoding defined for character values in the ranges between
\0x01 to \0x1f, and \0x7f to \0xff in terms of UFS, POSIX, whatever?

If you were right, it would be OK for afpd to store all chars literally.
While this does work, it is definitly awkward to work with in the shell,
and possibly so together with other applications as Samba as well. Its not
merely an display issue; its an interoperability issue. I feel that too
many things expect file names to confine to printable ascii, and unless
this changes, I opt to fix what in my eyes is an obvious bug in afpd (that
is, escaping \0x80 to \0xff, but leaving \0x01 to \0x1f and \0x7f
untouched).

It won't change anything to the worse; the only problem is that existing
files with file names containing control characters (custom icons on folders
being the single source of such name probably) will stop working and will
need manual assistance from an operator.

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Bethke
Muehlendamm 12            Phone: +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009