Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:22:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Zane C.B." <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LOCAL_CREDS and unix domain sockets

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Zane C.B. wrote:

> With unix domain sockets, unix(4), are LOCAL_CREDS actually supported or
> not?
>
> I've been trying to fetch this from within a Perl script using 'my
> $local_creds=$some_connection->sockopt(LOCAL_CREDS)', but all I keep getting
> is a undefined variable in return, as if fetching it is not supported.

It depends on the version of FreeBSD.  Using a C language program I can get
and set LOCAL_CREDS on FreeBSD 7.0 and it looks implemented in the kernel.
There are also some regression tests although I've not run them, but it
appears things are together.  Are you running an older FreeBSD version and/or
have you rebuilt Perl since support for LOCAL_CREDS was added (April 2005)?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge