Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:32:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      statik@hate.cx
To:        John Brodzniski <jrbrodzinski@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: rsync mirroring question

you can run rsync through ssh by adding "--rsh=/path/to/ssh" (ie. rsync
--rsh=/usr/bin/ssh /path/to/files user@10.10.10.10:/where/you/want/the/files) to
your rsync command. then it'll run over port 22 and have all the intrinsic
benefits of using ssh.

John Brodzniski forced the bits to display:

> Hello,
>
> I was thinking of using rsync for mirroring my IF firewall to a machine with
> the same set up and my apache server to a machine with the same setup.
>
> I have heard that you can use ash with to send pull files via async from
> another machine.&NBS; Is this wise?&NBS; I would most likely have to open up
> port 873 tap on my firewall internally as I'm not sure if async can log into
> the machine via ash or if it needs it's own port open.
>
> The mirroring would involve my firewall con fig on the firewall box.&NBS; All
> apache virtual directories, user home directories and Apache con fig on the
> web server.
>
> Has anybody been burnt by this type of setup?
>
> &NBS;
>
> -John

> Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards

<EOF>
::[ RFC 2795 ]::
 "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the
 people by the people for the people."
 -Oscar Wilde
statik@hate.cx / security engineer \ "My God, it's full of stars..."
PGP fingerprint: D656 01EB 79FC 9285 F110  2AB1 D8BC B3BA BEA2 E0C5