Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 10:36:57 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>, Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

At 1:55 AM -0400 2000/5/3, spork wrote:

>  Last I looked though, vinum cannot protect you from loss of your boot
>  device.

	I am told that in FreeBSD 4.0, vinum now has the ability to
mirror the root filesystem.  I don't know if this addresses the issue
you are concerned about, but I personally find it very interesting.

>           For some applications this may not be terribly important, but if
>  you cannot afford to bring the machine down, the hardware solution starts
>  to look better.

	I must admit that hardware does have certain advantages, but it
does require driver support from the OS (unless it's an external
SCSI-SCSI model), and I believe that the primary things you gain with
hardware RAID controllers is not performance but instead other
advantages, including transparency to the OS, etc....

	If what you're after is absolute maximum speed for minimum money,
hardware is not the way to go.