Date:      Mon, 31 May 2010 15:38:02 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: text editor

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

I meant to reply to the list, as a response to this, but accidentally
replied directly to Giorgos Keramidas.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 08:45:07PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 09:59:00 -0600, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wro=
te:
> > Does Vim install more than the binary?  I've got this:
> >
> >     > ls -l /usr/local/bin/vim
> >     -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1650340 Apr 18 12:20 /usr/local/bin/vim
>=20
> Yes, it does: help files; syntax highlighting rules; manpages; around 14
> binaries in /usr/local/bin; including more than a thousand files in
> /usr/local/share.

After some off-list discussion, it has come to my attention that of the
14 "binaries" that are "installed", one of them is the vim binary itself,
two of them are vimtutor binaries, one is a hex dumper, and the other ten
are links (hard or soft) to the vim binary itself (and thus not actually
separate binaries).  It seems kind of silly to include a tutor and a
hexdumper in the "size" of the editor just because the port for that
editor installs them, too.  Furthermore, documentation like manpages and
help files should not count against an application's size in my opinion,
since more documentation is a *good* thing, and counting it toward the
size of the application is marking it in the *bad* column.

The grand total size of that hex dumper and two tutor binaries is about
15KB, by the way -- so even if you include them with the editor for
determining its size, they're still pretty negligible.

Considering I could just delete all the syntax highlighting files and it
wouldn't even affect the way I use Vim (I tend to prefer monochrome, even
when editing code), I don't realy think I'd count those against the size
of Vim either.

Vim looks pretty small to me, compared with other editors of similar
power (emacs, GUI IDEs, et cetera).

>=20
> > I don't think the size of the installation tarball is necessarily
> > representative of the final size.
>=20
> For modern editors like Vim and Emacs the binary is pretty much a basic
> 'scripting engine' that loads plugins, scripts and other data files to
> present an editing user interface to the user.  The last Emacs binary I
> compiled is 13 MB:

That's not what I see from the list of binaries in /usr/local/bin.  Those
appear to basically just be links to Vim, for the most part, rather than
separate programs with the vim binary acting as glue code.

--=20

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB--