Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:12:46 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8139 very slow !

> > it is possible a half/full duplex mode problem,  try to set it as correct mode with you
> > HUB.  I am also using Realtek 8139 with FreeBSD 4.3-stable,   my machine is a poor
> > Celeron 500, with 64M mem,  its damn fast,  of course our HUB is Cisco brand
> > HUB and router,  FTP upload/download is about 8.6M bytes/s on our 100M LAN.

> It wasn't connected to a HUB.
> But I will try other half/full duplex mode.

So, where is your NIC connected to? DSL? Switch? Cross-connect cable
to another NIC?
You have to determine, whether you need full-duplex or half-duplex.
Half-duplex being the safe bet.

> Sorry, but I am a new FreeBSD user.
> Can you tell only the commands/files needed to change this ?
> Then I will seek the right options in man.

man ifconfig
man rl

You do this with "ifconfig". To make it permanent add  a line in
/etc/rc.conf .
I have there:
ifconfig_rl0="inet <MY_IP>  netmask <MY_NETMASK> media 10baseT/UTP"

This will force half-duplex. For full-duplex you have to add the
"mediaopt full-duplex" term.
Note that the man page is somewhat unclear there, at least last time I
checked it.

Ciao
Siegbert