Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 05:04:39 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating freebsd to a larger partition?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> types:
> | Copied? With cp? dump(8) piped into restore(8) does a better job with
> | devices, links, and maintaining file flags.
> +--->8
> cp -R for /usr, find|cpio -p for /, then did spot-checks.  Everything
> appears to be correct

The problem with this is that "cp -R" doesn't correctly handle a file
with more than one link to it. This means you're wasting a lot of
space because you now have multiple copies of those files. I've got
more than 4500 such files on my /usr partition, and it's got nothing
on it but the standard FreeBSD /usr and installed ports.  Depending on
how those files get updated, you may find yourself with one updated
copy, and all the other links being old copies. If you've still got
your old /usr, you can count them with "find /oldusr -type f -links
+1".

I'd recommend a "./MAKEDEV all" in your new /dev, on the off chance
that cpio truncated one of the device numbers in the nodes when you
copied things with it. It won't hurt anything, and may save you some
angst later if it fixes something that's broken that you're not using
yet.

For more information on this, see the FAQ entry at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#dmin.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK >.

	<mike