Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:57:24 -0800
From:      Bill <bill@linuxcare.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Third /tmp location ? (and maybe a fourth too)

Roger Marquis wrote:

> Creating a partition for /var is also rarely necessary unless your
> applications require partitioning for performance , pseudo-quotas,
> or they need more disk than the root volume provides.

[humbly_snipped]

I've been pinched before by error files in a overflowed /var/log/
where /var is inside / and filled up the whole parition to where I was
barely able to log in to start freeing up space and will never do that
again.  I keep a "water_dike" around /var per-se' in the form of it's
own partiton.

My $0.02

--
Bill Schoolcraft	Linux/Unix System Engineer
650 Townsend Street	San Francisco, CA 94103

	   "Linux/Unix, A Way Of Life."