Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:51:05 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        peter.lai@uconn.edu
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

> A better comparison would be freebsd-stable. Every and any problem
> that people have they will send there as long as uname -r says
> xxx-STABLE. This includes things like 'i can't do foo anymore after
> upgrading' to debugging of a kernel. The SNR of that list is much
> lower than here. Some questions typically get drowned out
> by other ones that people on this list would deem off-topic.
> I don't see discussions there about appropriate content either.
> If you are lamenting about SNR, propose to make this list
> technical and not general. Furthermore, you can also set an example
> by not group-replying to mail you think is off-topic. It all
> comes down to the mentality of the subscribers. If people here
> habitually digress, then that is the nature of this list.

Very nicely put!

HOWEVER, this list is _supposed_ to be technical and not general
already. My efforts are now aimed towards enforcing this.

> There is a "charter" but all it says is:
> "FREEBSD-SECURITY
> 	Security issues
>
> 	FreeBSD computer security issues (DES, Kerberos, known security
> 	holes and fixes, etc). This is a technical mailing list for which
> 	strictly technical content is expected."

Once we conclude this discussion, I will fix this :-)

> Well, at least it says that chatter is discouraged (such as complaining
> about spam) but it doesn't limit what 'technical' questions are being asked.
> "I can't implement foo in IPSEC. Has someone done 'foo' with IPSEC before,
> and how?" seems to be a legitimate technical question to me.

Point taken. When the time comes, I will propose a replacement for the
above charter and see what you folks think.

> Yes, telling people to RTFM where there is no FM to read is silly
> (or if you need to be Jordan Hubbard to understand it).

Quite. Remember that FreeBSD is a community project; this is folks'
chance to contribute! With a bit of leadership (which I am attempting
to provide), useful FMs for folks to read should be available. :-)

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn