Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:51:31 +0200
From:      Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs loader: allow access to any filesystem in a pool

2010/7/25 Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>:

> This is a ZFS boot patch that I would like to present you for review and =
testing:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/zfsboot.diff
>
> Currently in zfsloader you can only switch between pools, but you can onl=
> access one predetermined filesystem within a pool - wither root dataset o=
f a
> pool or a filesystem pointed to by bootfs pool property.
> With this patch it is possible to access any filesystem in a pool and, th=
us, to
> boot kernel and modules from an alternative filesystem. =A0This is anothe=
> stepping stone in so called Boot Environments support.
>
> An example.
> You can boot kernel from a different filesystem by doing the following at=
 the
> loader prompt:
> set currdev=3Dzfs:tank/some/fs:

Can you specify a snapshot ? For example
set currdev=3Dzfs:tank/rootfs@20100722:

I never tried this, but it would be really great in case of a broken
kernel/world.

Cheers

> (note the trailing colon).
> This is a breakdown of device name format:
> "zfs" - is type of a device
> "tank" - is a sample pool name
> "some/fs" - is a sample name of a filesystem within the pool
>
> You can access an individual file e.g. like this:
> load zfs:tank/some/fs:boot/kernel/module.ko
> "boot/kernel/module.ko" is a path within the specified filesystem (from i=
ts root).

> As an additional feature, default filesystem (either root dataset or the =
one
> pointed to by bootfs) is resolved to its name, so currdev and loaddev wil=
l be in
> the format shown above.
>
> Thank you in advance for any feedback!
> --
> Andriy Gapon

--=20
Olivier Smedts=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=A0 _
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 =A0 ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
e-mail: olivier@gid0.org=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - against HTML email & vCards=A0 X
www: http://www.gid0.org=A0 =A0 - against proprietary attachments / \

=A0 "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
=A0 ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
=A0 et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."