Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/6853: Inactive de0 leads to hang with windoze box.

The following reply was made to PR kern/6853; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:24:04 -0400 (EDT)

 I'm guessing it must be hardware related as I've got nearly the same
 config and am operating without problems.

 I've got a Znyx ZX314 (4 21040s behind a bridge) and am only using de1.

 de0, de2, and de3 are not connected to anything.

 [sasami]:/var/run> uname -a
 FreeBSD sasami.jurai.net 2.2.6-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE #0: Fri Apr 10
 16:09:12 EDT 1998     winter@sasami.jurai.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/SASAMI
 i386

 [sasami]:/var/run> uptime
 11:22AM  up 54 days, 21:43, 20 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.15, 0.15

 Do an `ifconfig -a` and `netstat -rn` and show us what they say.

 On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, David Gilbert wrote:
 > >Synopsis:       Having an inactive de0 in system leads to system hang.
 [snip[
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > 	Have 2 KNE100 PCI cards in a system, with de0 unused and
 > de1 connected to a 10Mbit lan.  Windozed 95 box (also with KNE100)
 > transfers large amount of data from the FreeBSD box.  This may
 > require an empty lan as it appeared to be related to the rate
 > of traffic.

 /*
    Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
    winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
    http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
 */