Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:10:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR SCSI driver emiting: in getcc reselect by t0.

Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Jun 13, 17:39, Bob Willcox wrote:
> } Subject: NCR SCSI driver emiting: in getcc reselect by t0.
> } Right after starting a "tar tvf /dev/rst1" to list the contents of
> } an 8mm tape I got a number of these messages:
> }
> } /kernel: in getcc reselect by t0.
> }
> } listed on the console.  I poked around in the source (sys/pci/ncr.c)
> } and it seems that I shouldn't worry too much about it (though I've
> } had 30 in the last 30 minutes) since the circumstances causing the
> } message don't seem to be really an error and the system appears to
> } still be running ok.  Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> The messages appear when doing a "tar tvf" ?
> I guess there is other disk activity on target 0 on the same
> host adapter as the tape is connected to ?

Yep, there's one disk also on this controller.  It is the system's
root disk, and so, is relatively busy.

BTW, by the time I was done reading the tape (took over 4 hours,
it had a small blocksize) I had had hundreds (maybe thousands)
of these messages.

> It is a common situation (depending on the load on the SCSI bus),
> that the SCSI host adapter wants to connect to a device, but
> another device has just succeeded arbitrating for the SCSI bus.
> This situation is dealt with in the main loop of the code
> executed by the NCR.

 [ further discussion of GET_CC deleted ]

Hmm, I am not familiar with the GET_CC command.  I have some SCSI
experience (ported the AIX NCR 720 driver to work on the PowerPC
machines with PCI bus and 810s while at IBM) but can't seem to
place the GET_CC command in the general SCSI scheme of things.
Can you tell me what specific SCSI command or condition it relates
to?

> } Here's my configuration:
> }
> } P100, 256k cache, 32mb RAM, 4 NCR 810 PCI SCSI controllers with
> } the following devices:
> }
> } 1.   1 disk, 2 CDROM drives, 2 tape drives
> } 2.   3 disks
> } 3.   3 disks
> } 4.   3 disks
>
> Quite impressive !
> 4 * NCR SCSI (which motherboard is this ???)

It is a made in Taiwan board (can't find a brand name) using the
Intel Triton chipset with Award BIOS and includes the NCR 810/825
BIOS (but no NCR chip).  I have two of my systems here running
these and have so far been quite satisfied (they were slightly
cheaper [~$30] than their ASUS counterpart at the local retailer
where I picked them up).

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)