Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:49:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jack Winslade <jsw@cywub.sitel.net>
To:        freebsd@netsys.hn (FreeBSD Questions)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO Unix vrs. FreeBSD

> Hello, I want to know why a License for SCO Unix cost that much and FreeBSD
> is FREE?

It's a commercial version of AT&T sysv unix.  Keyword, 'commercial' intended
to make $$$$$.

> It is better? More things to do with?

Not really, they had the market more or less cornered a few years ago as
far as supported Intel-platform Unix is concerned.

> We are a ISP that uses FreeBSD in our servers, but other ISP tell people
> that we use free downloaded software form the Internet, and since that how
> can we provide security or stability. I know FreeBSD is good, very good I
> like it a lot. They also say 'why you don't buy a "real" Unix software, like
> those you pay for?'.

IMAO, those who say that cannot really know either SCO or FBSD.  When
FBSD/NBSD/etc. first came out, I would have to say that SCO was more
stable, but the later releases of FBSD are certainly in the same league
if not better.

I've worked with both, and it seems like applications compile and install
more cleanly on FBSD than on SCO.  With SCO, lots of the stuff that comes
with FBSD is extra, such as the c compiler.  ;-)  Also, there are lots of
restricted (like 2-user) SCO releases around.  The unlimited user license
under SCO is (was) very expensive.

The later FBSD versions can also run SCO binaries.  I know of one case
where an Informix SE license was moved from SCO to FBSD with very little
hassle.  They also tell me (the ubiquitous 'they') that Oracle runs fine
under FBSD as well.

Good day      JSW