Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:23:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
To:        Deman <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var full.. how solve it?

You can do a few things:

1. Find out what specifically is taking up all the
space and delete it:

cd /var
du -s *

Perhaps you're not managing some log file properly.

2. You can move /var into /usr where you have some
room.

mkdir /usr/var
cd /var
tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
rm -rf /var
ln -s /usr/var /var

(from www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd)

When I install, I usually do this with /tmp and /var.

3. You could always add more diskspace and put /var
there. Probably not necessary.

Hope that helps.

--Tim