Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:59:28 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks from SysAdmin mag

As for the benchmarks, I did notice:
1. the choice of EXT2 for Linux and UFS for the other Unix platforms.
2. The mention of "out of the box" but then kernel tweaking.

Well, it starts to alter your readings when you setup different filesystems
and/or start tweaking the system. I felt they should have
consulted the FreeBSD people on how to get the most of of the v4.2 and did
the same from the other vendor. I notice between the versions of 4.2-R and
v4.3Stable that options that were turned off by default are now back on
which would have changed some results in disk I/O.

So, should the developers expect reviews like this and setup releases with
all optimizations turned on for high loads and fast disk I/O?? How many
times do we read articles where a reviewer hasn't tweaked the right variable
or turned on the right switch??

Rebutting this article calls for people to reinvent what was done and
then say what should have been done for FreeBSD to merit a respectable
benchmark with the mentioned application "MailEngine". Otherwise, you have
to take the article for what it is - someone's opinion - whether truely
credible or not. Based on the information they had and experience they had
with the product could alter their decisions.

I'm sure we would see interesting results on different distributions of
Linux or variants of BSD. WIndows 2000 vs WinXP RC-1 vs WIn 9x/Me. I think
there is so much to know when architecting a solution on a particular
platform that it is hard to make a informed decision without considered ALL
the facts involved. Just by the comments I've read on the article, I would
take it that Sys Admin should revisit the article with all external opinions
considered.

Ken