Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 13:08:32 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   Followup: burncd blank/erase/fixate no longer seize all ATA I/O

I realize that this is a very long delay to follow up, but six months ago I
posted this . . .

On Monday 07 January 2002 08:58 am, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
| When I am running burncd's blank, erase, or fixate, it seizes all the ata
| i/o on the system.
|
| For example, if I try to merely to an
|
|    ls -R /
|
| while blanking a CD, there will be *no* output from the command whatsoever
| until the blanking operation is completed.  Burning the actual data on the
| CD, even at 4x (the maximum at which I can burn CD-RWs), is no problem: the
| machine is quite usable and the CDs come out fine.  But the
| blanking/erasing/fixating are just deadly to the use of the machine.
|
| Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do?  Is there anything that burncd
| could do?
|
| I have tried playing with the DMA settings for both ata and atapi, but it
| make no difference.
|

| PS:  On the other hand, *reading* from the CD seems to be a lot friendlier
| to the rest of the system with
|
|   hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
|
| Am I setting myself up for trouble using this?  Anybody know why
|
|   hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
|
| is the default but the atapi_dma defaults to 0?
|
| PPS:   Particulars:
| Dell Inspiron 8000.  Builtin CD-RW/DVD drive.
| atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xbfa0-0xbfaf at device 31.1
| on pci0
| ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
| ad0: 45780MB <IC25T048ATDA05-0> [93015/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
| acd0: CD-RW <TOSHIBA CD-RW/DVD-ROM SD-R2002> at ata0-slave using WDMA2

. . . I just wanted to let everybody (and especially Søren and the mail
archives) know that this problem has since been cleared up, presumably as a
results of Søren's MFC of the new ATA drivers back in February or so.

This has made backing up my system into a much more workable proposition.

Thanks, Søren!

PS: If anybody cares to clear up the mystery of the _dma defaults (which
might have changed; I force them all on myself so I've never notice), I'm
still a trifle curious about that.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go