Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2003 01:13:48 -0400
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: xterm setup

I recently upgraded my desktop to Gnome2, and of the various things
that are causing me grief, the biggest is what's happened to my
xterm windows. Now, after the change, it does three things
differently and annoyingly: (1) it defaults to black/colored text on
a white background; (2) it doesn't have a scrollbar of any sort; and
(3) there's no menubar with basic "File"/"Edit" etc. options.

I can somewhat get around (1) by launching it with "xterm -r",
although while this does display white/colored on black, it also
makes other menus (e.g. those launched with ctrl-[mouse buttons])
look incomplete. But (2) is the worst; I really need to have
scrollbars with this. I see that there's a toggleable option to
"Enable Scrollbar" that I get to with ctrl-Mouse2, but this isn't
a regular scrollbar that I can click up and down on, with a moveable
thumb, etc., as I used to have before the upgrade and as the
gnome-terminal has now.

I'd be very grateful for a solution to this.

Is there a mailing list for Gnome questions? I couldn't easily find
one on the Gnome site, and I have various questions not specific to
FreeBSD.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower