Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:29:42 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Richard Stanaford <richard@nova.eri.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP connection "hanging"

[.....]
> Now here is where it get really strange, to me.  I can FTP all day.  In
> fact, I did just that and transfered about 300Megs of files without a
> problem.  I can also be connected via secure shell for hours at a time,
> doing mail and news.  The only time it has "hung" so far is while I am
> "surfing the web" on the Win95 box.  It just stops and if I let it sit
> there for about two minutes, the connection will automatically restart
> everything will again work.  I dug through the ppp.log file and I saw a
> line referring to too many ECHO LQR packets lost at the time the
> connection was dropped and redialed.  I do have Link Quality Reporting
> enabled and accepted in ppp.conf.
>
> Humm... anyone have any thoughts?

Sounds like the remote ppp is dying.  You could *try* disabling tcp
extensions in /etc/rc.conf, but I suspect it won't help.

Another possibility (but don't hold your breath) is if you tried
disabling vj compression (``disable vj'' & ``deny vj'').  This is
even more of an outside chance than disabling tcp extensions.

I suspect you'll have to hastle your ISP into enabling logging for
your connections 'till it happens again - they may then be able to
tell you why their side evaporated :-/

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;