Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:23:23 -0700
From:      Brad Karp <bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   clock speedup on SMP boxes

There were several responses to my initial note that the time of day clock in
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE runs faster than real time (gaining up to an hour every
day, where the amount of clock speedup is in proportion to the load on the
CPUs) on my SMP boxes. In these responses, others mentioned they see similar
behavior on other hardware. I see this behavior on Intel STL2 and Tyan S2567
motherboards with dual 1 GHz P-IIIs installed.

To wit, the archives:

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2001/freebsd-smp/20010617.freebsd-smp.html

Is there any SMP developer I should directly notify (though I presume he already reads -smp), in the interest of having this fixed for all SMP users? Or is it low priority, compared with other SMP development work underway?

Or is there reason to believe that -CURRENT would behave better?

Thanks,
-Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu