Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:16:29
From:      "Some Person" <ntvsunix@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security Update Tool..

Hey ppl. Sorry I just joined the list so I dunno what kinda posts usally go
on here but I was just browsing www.freebsd.org/security and...

Well, seeing there's new security discoveries, patches and a whole schlew of
CERT advisories etc.. it's hard to keep up with what needs securing, and
what to secure, from the base system, from the ports, etc.

My question is, is there a util yet that in theory (maybe if so, or if
someone writes one would work differently than what I'm imagining) queries a
central database with all the security advisories, checks the local system
for comparisons and vulnerabilities against that database and reports to the
user who ran the util.

ie, sacheck -H sa-host.freebsd.org

I completely made that up, but jsut an idea. ie, sacheck (security advisor
check) checks against -H sa-host.freebsd.org.

Please, if I sound like a complete idiot, no need to flame.. ;) I'm trying
to explain what I think would be a good idea in the best way I can via email
and I'm still an intermediate (non-expert) FreeBSD user. I don't know
programming (yet) so I probly don't have all the terms, but I do have ideas.

ps: Hope I did make atleast some sense in describing my idea.

Thanks!