Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:51:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: core group topics

> 1) Satoshi's new Makefile.  His makefile has been around plenty long
> enough for testing, and while several people have reported good results,
> I've seen no negatives reported at all.  Will it get ignored or committed?

I think it's hung up on the question of what to do with LDDESTDIR -
all agree that it's broken as currently used now but no one wants to
bell the cat, either. :-)

> 2) John Polstra's ELF work.  He's done all the work that anyone could
> possibly want, to move FreeBSD to ELF.  There are several good reasons to
> move, and none excepting inertia not to.  I know that moving FreeBSD to

Erm, "none excepting inertia and fear of chaos, confusion, shock and
increased entropy all around." :) Inflicting another ABI on our user
base, one which will result in a new class of packages which all older
FreeBSD releases cannot run, is NOT something to be considered
lightly.

					Jordan