Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:33:12 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        "Milo Hyson" <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re[2]: Disks moved around -- can't boot -- help!!!

> One problem. There are no device nodes for the new slices. The current
> slices are ad0s1a, ad0s1b, ad0s1e and ad0s1f. There are nodes for ad1, ad1a
> through ad1h and ad1s1 through ad1s4.

Funny, I had the same problem last week (ad1 moved to ad0).

After moving a disk to a new machine, boot failed and I could not mount
it read-write because the right devices were missing. I'm sure there is
a better method, but I did the following:

*] Booted with kern.flp and mfsroot.flp, went to "Fixit" with fixit.flp
*] On the Fixit floppy, in /mnt2/dev/ if I recall correctly, I did
   a: sh ./MAKEDEV ad0s1a (the ad0 dev entries were absent)
*] I could now mount the hard drive with: mount -t ufs ./ad0s1a /mnt
*] On the hard drive I remade the devices as well: cd /mnt/dev/;
   sh ./MAKEDEV ad0s1a
*] Then edited /etc/fstab to reflect the new drive (ad0 instead of ad1),
   and rebooted.

Hope this helps,
walter

--