Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:16:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?

> Aren't you guys having, like, multiple arguments here?  I think we can
> simplify this considerably.  For one, any command that appears in
> /usr/bin should have a man page.  It's not just a good idea, it's the
> law.

The ibcs2 command belongs in /usr/sbin.  If not /lkm or /usr/lkm.  It's
a command runnable only by root to load a kernel module.  So yes, all
things in /usr/bin should have a man page.  But ibcs2 doesn't belong
there (unless someone cleverly stuck it there in an attempt to get a
man page written).  It's a violation of the source/binary tree
organization.

> And to Terry, I don't think it's an unreasonable point to make that
> our current ibcs2/linux setup documentation sucks.  It does, believe
> me.  Why not read all the verbiage I had to stick into the
> doom/executor READMEs in the commerce distribution if you don't
> believe me?

It is a work in progress.  When it reached the level of completeness
of "cvs" or even "ls", then it will deserve a [very small] man page
hidden away in section 8.

> There are kernel options that need to be reenabled, the module loaded
> (also note that there may be an ibcs2=FOO line in sysconfig, but none
> for Linux).  It's not immediately obvious, and immediately obvious is
> what it should be.  This can be solved through a little more engineering
> and probably a lot more documentation.

Right now it's purely an install and completeness problem.  You need
to talk to the guy who builds the releases.  8-)  8-).

Seriously, I don't think a new kernel should be necessary, and I don't
think the sysconfig lines should be undocumented, and I *do* think
the install should allow you to turn it on or off at will and be
reentrant so the tools is always there to let you do it.

If it's a documentation problem at all, it's on the order of WINE, which
is a similar capability at only a slightly inferior stage of completion.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.