Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2020 20:25:00 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pinebook pro

Hi,

On 2020-01-19 18:03, Greg V wrote:

 > Jan 20, 2020 3:31:52 AM Russell L. Carter :
 >
 >> Greetings!
 >>
 >> This is a beautiful throwaway-able laptop (think country borders),
 >> I am very impressed with my $323 all in device.
 >
 > […]
 >
 >> I will note that linux is sorta suck0rs here: you can install
 >> debian-testing but the testing (bullseye) mali-midgard-dkms
 >> drivers aren't patched past linux-4.1(something).
 >
 > Don't touch the proprietary Mali stuff, Panfrost is already really
 > good.
 >
 > Meanwhile nobody has accelerated embedded graphics on any BSD yet.
 > But NetBSD does already have proper display support for the Pinebook
 > Pro (and rk3399 in general).

That's great advice, thank you.  I went down the rabbit hole, let's
see what happens. Yes yes I know this is freebsd-arm, but first I want
to see how panfrost works on a targeted platform.

So panfrost is enabled and loaded in linux-5.4 that I'm running on the
pinebook pro. I see panfrost (only a single reference) in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log: glamor X acceleration enabled on panfrost.

I have every mesa 19.2.6 package installed that returns from 'apt
search mesa' on the pinebook pro.

Ok!

But here's what happens when I try to run something installed via
apt install:

$ /usr/games/endless-sky
[1] 6808 segmentation fault /usr/games/endless-sky
$ mnemosyne
[...]
Could not initialize GLX
[1] 6864 abort mnemosyne

And so on.  fvwm is too slow to be usable.  glxgears runs ~60fps
though.

So... still some rough edges in linux.  I'm not looking for linux
technical support here!  Also, to be as clear as possible, I'm not
criticizing the current state, just laying it out as I see it, as a
novice in-this-area end-user.

Russell