Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:26:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

On 2002-01-30 17:13, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > Nobody in their right mind is going to run FreeBSD-5.x on a 6809 or
> > a Z80 or a 68010.  The least of their problems is the compiler.
>
> I hope your misunderstanding here is intentional.
>
> I am not talking about running the full FreeBSD-5.x on a
> 68010, I am talking about using portions of the code as a
> reference implementation.
>
> For example, taking the TCP/IP stack by itself, with all
> the DOS attack hardening and other hardenening, and using
> it in a system other than FreeBSD.

I'm afraid that even in that area, the changes and differences between
the original Net/[123] code and the -CURRENT trees of BSDs are far
more than a simple __P() change.  One who has to maintain the changes
done already in other parts and subsystems of the kernel that the TCP
stack changes depend on, has a lot more work to do.

I somehow fail to see the point of all this...

- Giorgos