Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 2020 17:27:01 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 16:43:28 +0100
Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 09/08/2020 07:03, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> > I usually run `pkg version` to see what packages have changed.
> >
> > Previously, that was a more or less instant operation, now it takes
> > over 100 seconds. The problem is that /usr/ports/INDEX-12 is
> > missing.
>
> Yes.  For historical reason, the order of precedence for the source of
> information about available packages that pkg(8) uses is:
>
>    * INDEX file
>    * A checked-out copy of /usr/ports
>    * The pkg repository catalogue
>
> In my humble opinion, it's the third of those options that is actually
> the best, both in terms of speed and accuracy.

Inaccurate because the ports tree used to create the packages is
typically a bit behind the current tree.

What I'd like to see is a simple way to update the ports tree to match
what was used to build the current packages in the repository.

If you update most packages using pkg, but build a few locally, the
difference in tree versions can cause problems.