Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:07:20 +1030
From:      Greg Hurrell <greg@hurrell.cc>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: SPAM being sent to this list

El Monday, 18 November, 2002, a las 09:03  PM, Len Conrad escribi=F3:

>> Is there any *good* reason why this list isn't set up to accept=20
>> postings only from subscribers?
>
> As you know, I can send spam to this list as
>
> MAIL FROM:<greg@hurrell.cc>
>
> ...  and it will get posted. and then you will be banned from the=20
> list!  :))
>
> subscriber-only posting provides some but not complete anti-spam=20
> defense.
>
> Len

Isn't "some" better than "none"?

If a spammer wants to send email using my mail address they first of=20
all have to guess or know that "greg@hurrell.cc" is subscribed to this=20=

list, and I don't think most spammers bother doing that kind of=20
research.

If such spam did get through, and if the list-owner decided to ban my=20
from address (both of which I consider to be long shots) then couldn't=20=

this be sorted out with a quick email to the list-owner?

cheers :-)
Greg=