Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:44:29 +0100
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Terry Lambert'" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: LFS & soft updates

	[snip]

> If you want soft updates in the LFS code, which might make *some*
> sense, in terms of reducing the work for the cleaner, and adding
> implicit write gathering, and similar benefits to LFS, then you
> should do this:

	[snip]

	To a first approximation, I'm parsing: "Well, it would be a real
	fine piece of academic calisthenics but I don't think you'll get
	much mileage out of it in the real world." ;-)  Jeez, I do rem-
	ember "studying" this stuff one weekend and getting good and
	swamped in graph theory and thinking that I had come up with
	a better model but then realizing that it was only better for
the
	special class of objects that I was obsessed with at the time.
As
	a practical expedient I'm going to see if my "generalized seg-
	ment bubble sort" fever dream is valid and useful for the
special
	case of append-only operations.  It takes advantage of a small
	predictive capability to switch the positions of consecutive
seg-
	ments should this be deemed a win by the algorithm.  If the
	thing requires a prohibitively far-sighted prediction or if it
winds
	up simply restating everything I've learned so far on the
subject
	in the general case, well, then... back to the drawing board.