Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:26:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Lubomir Toshev <lubomir_toshev@dir.bg>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with X11 and S3 Savage video card

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Lubomir Toshev wrote:

> I am trying to run X11 on a machine with FreeBSD 6.2 and S3 Savage
> video card. The installation of X11 was successful. The initial test
> is ok, everything seems to function normally. The problem occures when
> I try to exit the test with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. At that moment it
> looks like an attempt is made to switch the video mode and the screen
> remains black. After some time the monitor goes to power down mode as
> if there is no video signal.

I've seen the same thing with a ProSavage DDR-K integrated on an MSI
motherboard.  It appears that the video card doesn't reset correctly
when quitting X.  If X is left running, Ctrl-Alt-F1 works to switch back
to console mode.

Other than the reset issue, the Savage video seems to work fine.

There's a UseBIOS option documented in the savage manpage, although
"UseBIOS No" didn't help with this particular system.  Other options
like DmaMode are probably worth trying (I would, but that system is a
long way away).

Hmm.  A search just now turned up this:

http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-46981.html

(Link suggests disabling the Load "dri" option in the xorg.conf Module
section may solve the problem.)

Please respond on whether that works or not.