Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 08:33:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sinuralan <sin@cowz.lumiere-cc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   top

Heya,

I regularly run top from my non-root account. That account is in its own
group, and the wheel group. However, yesterday for unknown reasons top
suddenly stopped working, giving this error:

kvm_open: /dev/mem: Permission denied

It still works for root however. The permissions for /dev/mem are

crw-r-----  1 root  kmem    2,   0 Jan 24 08:27 /dev/mem

and the swap space is

brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,   2 Jan 24 08:27 /dev/wd0c

The permissions for top are

-rwxr-sr-x  1 root  kmem     36864 Jan 24 21:13 top

I had to add my non-root account to the kmem group first, which made top
work, except the swap info was wrong, then I had to add it to the operator
group (now everything works). However, it was working before without being
in either group, and I'd prefer to go back to that way. The only
siginificant thing done that I can think of is a quotacheck (with no
errors reported).

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

---
Sin <sin@cowz.lumiere-cc.com>
Cowz: http://cowz.lumiere-cc.com/