Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 00:23:43 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1045117423.eb771f@mired.org>
To:        northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, matrix@altima.net
Subject:   Re: languages

In <3E44A036.1010609@ameritech.net>, northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net> typed:
> I desire to learn Operating System design.  Architecture specific
> code. Portability, etc. Therefore, C asm and Java are hardly
> redundant.

I can see how C and asm fit into that picture. One's the portable
assembler you right most of your code in, and the other is the
non-portable assembler that you right the other bits in. How does Java
fit?

> If someone posts a languages question to a mailing list about an
> Operating System

FreeBSD is more than just an Operating System - it's a complete
platform. For hacking on FreeBSD sources, the answers are C, the ASM
for your machine, and C.

> I still have a right to state thoughts. Don't you think? =)

Of course you do, and I didn't mean to attack either you or your
thoughts. I was expressing my opinion of those three choices.

I'm beginning to think the original posters goal was to start a long,
off-topic discussion.

	<mike