Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:43:00 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
Cc:        Marc Wandschneider <marcw@lanfear.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "dangerously dedicated"

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 01:28:08PM -0500, Peter Schwenk wrote:
> It means it will not make a Microsoft compatible partition table on the drive and just
> use a BSD type disklabel.  This precludes installing other operating systems on the
> drive.

Or more precisely, it will create a "fake" partition table, and FreeBSD
will use the whole disk, starting from the second sector.  Boot1, then
boot2, then disklabel, then filessystem(s) data.

> Marc Wandschneider wrote:
>
> > blaugh!
> >
> >         so, i've got FreeBSD 3.3 on a couple of machines, and i've got it taking up
> > ALL of the SCSI disks on this system.  This creates a "Dangerously
> > Dedicated" warning ... what exactly does this mean?    Should I worry about
> > it?  I don't plan on installing anything else, and if I do end up doing so,
> > I'll just low-level the disks...
> >
> >         marc.

> --
> PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
> Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
> schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!

Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,
ru@FreeBSD.org		FreeBSD committer,