Date:      Sun, 07 Dec 1997 13:03:00 -0500
From:      jcondon <jcondon@computer.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird FTP performance

I have my FreeBSD 2.2.5 box setup to act as a gateway machine for two
other Win95 machines.  On of the other Win 95 machines also can boot
FreeBSD 2.2.5.  I have a Zyxel Omni TA 128 setup for DOV Bonded (112k).
I believe my ISP is using Livingston Port Master equipment.  It took
awhile to get pap working right but, it seems to login fairly quickly
and smoothly execpt for the problem at the end of message.

While on the local consol or the other FreeBSD box is booted up and I do
an FTP I get the expected 10 to 11K (serial port 115K limitation).

However when I boot up under Windows 95 and FTP to the SAME sites that
worked moments ago at 'full speed' I get like 5 to 6K tops.  I can open
two FTP sesions and get 10K to 11K combined but, not 10K to 11K on a
single sesion.

This is over the SAME connect in the same period of time (a min or two
to reboot other OS and get it going) to the same sites.

I would have posted my logs but, I don't think the answer is in ppp.log
as it works on the same connection.

Also sometimes the gateway machine logs in and see the internet and then
shortly there after looses the net.  It is still dialed up but I can't
ping anywhere.  I am figuring this is probably unrelated and something
on the ISP side.

Whatever logs or .conf files or whatever needed to resolve either
problem available upon request.

Thanks.