Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:03:02 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: splashkit current status?

> The topic of the splashkit came up today and I'm curious to know what it's
> current status is.  I see a commit to syscons in early August about it but
> the only patches available otherwise are from February.  And is the 2.2.x
> patch any good?
>
> Could you shed some light, Mike? :-)

I played with it again a little bit the other night.

The basic problems with the splashkit as it stands for 2.2.x are that
it's really limited to 320x200x8bpp or 640x480x4bpp, and it requires
some quite ugly hackery to the kernel and bootblocks.

These are things that I've addressed in the new bootloader and kernel
infrastructure, and Kazu dealt with the ugly integration with syscons
by improving the screensaver code.

I'm not highly motivated to work on the splashkit further for 2.2.x
systems.  As it stands, I would say that a moderately competent
programmer with limited knowledge of the FreeBSD kernel should be able
to take the patches and merge them into -stable.

Of the patches supplied with the splashkit, about half of the ones to
syscons have been adopted by the mainstream.  The rest are still
applicable, and easily adapted.  Patches for the remainder of the
system should still apply with little or no help.

If someone wants to take over the 2.2.x splashkit, I'd be happy to help
out with the odd piece of advice.  I can't see myself working on it
however, as I'm really just too busy.