Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 1999 14:28:08 EST
From:      "xy 127" <xy127@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   making a port??

Hey,

I'm running FreeBSD 3.3 on a HP Pavilioin with a pentium-300 MHz.
My question is regarding building a port.  Since I've installed
FreeBSD this is the first port I tried to build and it failed.

I downloaded cdrecord.tar.gz from the FreeBSD Ports collection and
extracted it and typed ``make'' and here's the error I got:

bash-2.03$ make
"/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2: Could not find
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
bash-2.03$
bash-2.03$ more /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
PORTSDIR?=      /usr/ports
.include        "${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk"
bash-2.03$

My /usr/ports directory is empty.  Where can I get
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk???

Also why is it when I extract cdrecord.tar.gz with
`tar zxvf cdrecord.tar.gz` it puts the files in
pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/sysutils/??
Why doesn't it just extract the files you need, whats the
deal with all the extra dirs?

Please send replys to my email address, because I do not subscribe
to the mailing list.  Thanks.