Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:46:22 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Graham Todd <gtodd@bellanet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trace for zfs panic mounting fs after crash with RC2

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:01:06 -0500 Graham Todd <gtodd@bellanet.org> wrote
about Re: trace for zfs panic mounting fs after crash with RC2:

GT> > I guess I could live with a corrupted ZIL after a crash, if there
GT> > was some kind of --ignore-zil switch to get my data back online. In
GT> > any case, zfs should not panic on corrupted ZIL data, should it?
GT>
GT> Is there is a way to "manually" use zdb to mimic the "zpool clear"
GT> command introduced in OpenSolaris's ZFS with PSARC-2009479?
GT>
GT> http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/6067-PSARC-2009479-zpool-recovery-a.html

FYI: Meanwhile I opened a PR for the issue (kern/140433) and got some
request for additional zdb input (that I will hopefully be able to provide
later this evening).
The page above looks interesting, though. There it is mentioned (in the
comments) that you can achieve the same thing zpool clear does... but it
is not mentioned how. Does anyone here know?

GT> I have no idea if this would help: in fact it might very well be
GT> dangerous for the pool that Gerrit is trying to recover.  Are you able
GT> to copy the pool somehow before trying experiments?

I do not care that much about this specific pool, since I only installed
the system and some software. But I want to know I can handle this
situation before I put data on the disks. :-)

GT> I think the current state of "disaster recovery" tools and methods for
GT> ZFS makes some folks nervous. With so much error checking "built in"
GT> there's fewer tried and true "old school" sysadmin approaches to
GT> recovering lost data after the fact.

As long as these situations do not happen, it's ok for me to have no way
to recover. :-)
I am using zfs since Pawel made the first patchset available in autumn
2006 and never had to face a situation like this so far. As it happend two
times in a row now on this new machine, I guess it must have something to
do with the hardware. OTOH, everything seems to run fine, unless the
machine crashes and corrupts the zil in some strange way.

GT> So thanks for debugging your
GT> problem in public. I hope you can resolve things and document how you
GT> did it for everyone.

I hope we get this resolved, too. As long as I do not have to fear to
loose important data, I can do almost anything with the machine for
debugging.

cu
  Gerrit