Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:47:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Edwin Burley <khan@vnet.net>
Cc:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current failed

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Edwin Burley wrote:

> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: khan@vnet.net
> Date: 10/27/96
> Time: 15:13:43
> ----------------------------------
> So what is the right why to get current to compile...
> because am system is kicking out at the function.c file in the
> ./../../../cc/cc_int dir....

That's not enough to go on.  Need the actual error lines, if it were a
real bug.  Of course, it clearly isn't, because all the rest of us can
build current just fine.  I just tried it again, with a really clean
system, nothing is broke.

Most of the time, this is either because your copy of the sources is
somehow garbled, or because you have some trash somehow in either your obj
or source dirs.  The connonically right way is cd to /usr/src, do a make
cleandir (killing your entire /usr/obj), and doing a make world.  This
ONLY will work if your sources are good.  The stuff in current works, it's
not broken, so if this doesn't work for you, either your sources are
messed up, or your obj files aren't really clean.

I think using something like Steve Price's patch for make clean, which
makes the .depend files get cleaned, would stop at least a good part of
the complaints, those caused by old stuff in the obj dirs.  Using John
Polstra's great cvsup instead of sup would fix many of the sup problems,
too.  Why can't sup be put to bed permanently, now that we know for sure
that cvsup works dandy?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |