Date:      22 Sep 2001 11:27:04 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any way to disable dynamic ARP?

Someone said that security could be improved by setting the IP/MAC
translation table (ARP table) statically.  The "arp" command allows
that, but I don't see how to keep the kernel (?) from continuing to
poke around the network to set up additional translations dynamically.

Do I make any sense?  Is there some sysctl or other scheme for having
a static-only ARP table while allowing me to "publish" one address for
use by my external router which doesn't allow a static ARP table.  (I
guess I want my firewall to be an ARP server, but not a client.)  I
guess the fear is that a cracker taking over the router or, more likely,
a DMZ host could to bad things to the firewall's ARP-related routing.

Thanks.