Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:31:26 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: More de driver info......

Joe Greco wrote:

> > while I can certainly do without both drivers, I cannot load new systems
> > because the generic kernel doesnt work with any of the de compatible
> > cards I have (and I suspect none other as well). I need to generate new
> > boot disk with a working kernel. Is there an easy way (without making
> > an entire release) to just put an alternate kernel on the install boot
> > floppy?
>
> "Easy" : "No".  :-(
>
> The boot floppy procedure is intertwined with the make release procedure.
> It can be separated but it is not "easy".

I separated it out some time ago..
you can do it from /usr.src.floppies, but the change to the makefile
sbroke it recently.. I have patches to apply to make it work,
then

make world
cd release
make obj
cd sysinstall
make obj
make
cd ../floppies
make obj
make

will make a boot floppy, and a root floppy and a fixit floppy

at least some of this will go away..