Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:19:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Software router dimensions

Hi Walter,

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Walter Hop wrote:

> I was wondering what the dimensions should be for a software
> router. For now, I would like to move around 400GB on a daily
> basis; this might double in a year. Would a FreeBSD software
> router be up to the task?

400GB per day = ca. 40Mbit avg.  Sure, FreeBSD can do it, no problem.

...but the OS wouldn't be your problem.  Depending on your needs, I
would be much more concerned about the hardware.  Just about anything
you buy new today would be fine, but an old 75MHz pentuim with 32MB
RAM and a big list of firewall rules doing full BGP peering probably
wouldn't cut the mustard.

-Paul.