Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:24:51 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird issue with icmpmonitor

Hello!

Is anyone else using icmpmonitor (/usr/ports/net/icmpmonitor)? I
use it for monitoring ca 20 hosts and I find it quite good, except
this one nagging issue.

From time to time, it seems, icmpmonitor stops receiving ICMP
see it with 'icmpmonitor -v': ICMP packets are sent out, but
replies never arrive.

While this happens, I can still successfully ping the hosts in
question. Some of the hosts are on the same LAN with the box
running icmpmonitor, some are beyond the gateway. So I don't think
it's a problem somewhere on the network.

Generally, when I receive the notification that all the hosts are
down, I kill the running icmpmonitor daemon and try icmpmonitor -v.
Then I see that no ICMP responses are coming in. I usually try it
for a couple of times and finally give up, leaving icmpmonitor
not running.

And the most interesting part is: when I decide to try it again
after couple of days, it miraculously (sp?) starts working again.
'icmpmonitor -v' shows packets going out and coming in just fine.
Then I start the icmpmonitor daemon and I'm fine again for a couple
of weeks.

I do not reboot the box where icmponitor is running. It just starts
working again itself.

What might be going on here? Maybe I need to tweak some sysctls?

System specifics:
#uname -a
FreeBSD kuller.raad.tartu.ee 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #4: Wed
Aug 22 11:4 8:24 EET 2001
toomas@kuller.raad.tartu.ee:/mirror01/usr/src/sys/compile/KULLER
i386

#icmpmonitor
icmpmonitor[83030]:ICMPmonitor v1.1 by lord@crocodile.org

#ifconfig
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 194.126.106.100 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast
        194.126.106.111 inet6 fe80::260:94ff:fe19:8df2%fxp0
        prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 ether 00:60:94:19:8d:f2 media:
        100baseTX status: active
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* What happens if you get scared half to death twice?