Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 02:36:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD shines..[Fwd: Re: semaphore speed]

Julian Elischer said:
> oops I sent this to the wrong address before..
>
> participants:
> jallison: Samba guru:
> Andrew Tridgell: wrote Sambe.. Linux hacker
> Julian: yours truely:
>
> Linux 2.1.57 on a P120
> fcntl: 21.3006 secs
> ipc: 93.9982 secs
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a 200MHz pentium
> fcntl: 3.16579 secs
> ipc: 2.63504 secs
>
> Linux 2.0.30 on a PPro200
> fcntl: 12.2177 secs
> ipc: 50.4559 secs

My results with FBSD-current on PPro200

UP kernel:
fcntl: 10.735 secs
ipc: 9.17823 secs

SMP kernel:
fcntl: 17.8355 secs
ipc: 9.10841 secs

It appears that the 200MHz Pentium results are for a really fast
machine :-).  Is there a chance that there was an error in the
Pentium test?  Or are the results correct?  (Sometimes Pentiums
are paradoxically faster than PPro's.)  I just want to make sure
that people aren't misinformed that FreeBSD is *that* much faster
than Linux...

John