Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:55:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop and CD-ROM

A co-worker has a Dell Inspiron 3000 200MHz with 32MB RAM and 2.1 GB
disk.  There is a Toshiba XM-1702B CD-ROM in there along with every-
thing else -- a marvel of Mechanical Engineering (*grin*)

The only problem is this: the FreeBSD 2.2.6-REL sysinstall program
cannot recognize the first (of four!) CD-ROMs (although Windows 95
had no problem -- that is how he got the boot.flp image onto floppy).

I was having an email discussion with Greg Lehey and he thought the
Master/Slave issue may be involved here, but I don't know how or why,
and I sure as heck don't know how Dell puts all that stuff together...

Any ideas how we go about "seeing" the CD-ROM in the Toshiba drive?

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
[ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
[ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]