Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mbsd@pacbell.net>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster question

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, David Banning wrote:

> I am just in the process of upgrading from 4.5S to 4.7 and I will
> be running mergemaster.
>
> One thing I notice using mergemaster is that it seems to take such a long
> time. Is there a quicker way? It wants to replace alot of files,
> and that's OK for me 95% of the time.
> Only a few I want to keep or merge.
>
> Am I missing something, or is it just a part of upgrading that you must
> decide, file by file which will be modified or replaced?

There will only be a lot of files to update if it has been a long time
since you last rebuilt everything and ran mergemaster.

You can reduce the number of files to check by copying files you know
you have not modified before running mergemaster, e.g.:

 cp /usr/src/etc/mtree/* /etc/mtree
 cp /usr/src/etc/defaults/* /etc/defaults
 cp /usr/src/etc/rc /etc
 cp /usr/src/etc/rc.{diskless*,i386,network*} /etc

I think there are hooks in mergemaster that allow you to script some
of this stuff, but I've never gotten around to use them.

   $.02,
   /Mikko