Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 00:11:18 +0100
From:      se@FreeBSD.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: option FAILSAFE in GENERIC and LINT a bit misleading ?

On Dec 28, andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm) wrote:
> I'd suggest renaming the option to NCR_FAILSAFE and to really
> document in the kernel profile, what it does within the NCR
> driver.

Well, and I'd suggest to NOT rename it, and to hope
it will find further use in other parts of the kernel.

FAILSAFE was intended for install kernels, where it
is more important to have the system running, than to
get best performance out of it. And the documentation
mentions this suggested use.

I don't think it matters, whether the kernel uses it
for example to select a more conservative bcopy, since
it is up to the people supporting that code, to make
sure it works on all systems, at least with the boot
floppy kernel. They don't have to use it, if they don't
see the need, but the possibility should be documented,
and it is ...

Regards, STefan